I've been making this after eating roast chicken- using the carcass to make chicken stock, and going from there, but you can also just buy a box of chicken stock/broth and call it good.
- Chicken stock/broth
- potatoes (I prefer those red and yellow creamer potatoes, cut in half)
- half a cabbage, cut up.
- several carrots (sliced)
- zucchini (cut in half and sliced)
- yellow squash (same)
- Cilantro cubes (they're like bouillon cubes, but they're...cilantro.)
- garlic (crushed, powder, etc. Doesn't matter, you only need a little.)
- Salt and pepper to taste (a friend likes adding Montreal steak seasoning.)
(I call it Cato Soup because of Cato the Elder, who wrote a farming manual in which he sang cabbage's praises as a cure for pretty much everything.)